Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Sexy phlegm indeed.

I have an affinity for Google Image Search. So I GISed "sexy phlegm" of course. Alas, nothing came up... but here's what popped up for "sexy mucus":

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Just what are they doing to that poor elephant?? It came from this page of this site. Sexy elephant protein indeed.

I want to thank everyone for their input on the newest London news. I read a good Op-Ed in the New York Times a couple of weeks ago after the first bombings, and I happened to find it mirrored on another news site. I think it quite accurately sums up the problem. And, of course, easier said than done. Opinions are a dime a dozen - solutions, not so much.

You know what? All this bad news makes me kinda want to stay sick longer so I don't have to face the cruelty of the world we live in - it's easier to hide and pretend it's not happening than to face it. I'm a big wuss. It also makes me not want to have children anytime in the near future. How do those of you with kids feel when things like this keep happening, and it keeps looking like the world is continuing on its downhilll course? Do you fear for their futures? How do you keep that fear at bay?

I know that there have been horrible moments in the world in the past, and that the events of today are no worse than _______________________ (fill in the blank with the crappy historical incident of your choosing). But it seems to me - and I know I'm prejudiced since the present now is "my" time, but I can't really see a realistic way to get around this particular prejudice - that things are way worse now than they have ever been. And a lot of that has to do with the technology that I love so much. I can be eternally optimistic and so can billions of other people, but the sad fact of the matter is that, the way we have things set up now, all it takes is one deranged lunatic to adversely affect millions of people. Be it releasing biological warfare on an unsuspecting nation, planting a virus that steals millions of identities, or suicide bombing the hell out of buildings full of people.

It's really quite scary, no matter what we say to the contrary.

We can be brave and try not to let it phase us too much, but it's still terrifying to think that at no other point in history has one person been able to so radically affect the lives of thousands of unsuspecting people using the technology at hand. In the past it took years of build-up and an army to do it (Stalin, Hitler, Genghis Khan). Now it just takes one person crazy enough to strap a bomb to his torso or fly a jumbo jet into a building full of thousands of people. Unfortunately it seems that there is a never-ending supply of these individuals.. although surely that couldn't be the case, could it??

I'm still optimistic about technology's ability to bring the world together. But even that is terrifying because then what happens when everthing in the world is controlled by the internet? - someone has got to own the servers, which control the internet, which controls the world - therefore it becomes just another position of power that can easily be corrupted. (I read this BADASS Wired article today and it made me happy and scared at the same time - read this article, it's grrrrr-eat.)

Okay, I've got to stop thinking these pessimistic thoughts. I think the sickness has made me a manic depressive - joyously optimistic and happy one day... terribly pessimistic and cranky the next - what oh what mood will tomorrow bring!? Blech. I think we all need to have a good smoke (of the good stuff if you know what I mean... hint hint, nudge nudge - or maybe a little absinthe, eh MM? *wink wink*) together and then the world would be a much nicer place to live in - I declare a World Smoke-Out Day!! Then everyone will wake up the next day ready for diplomacy, cooperation, empathy, and compromise - yippee!!!1!!!eleven

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Ta-ta...

4 Comments:

At 3:14 AM, Blogger izchan said...

I am glad your back carol.
:) ... poor ele.

drink lots of warm water and rest.

it will heal your body.

The world though will take care of itself. It always does.

Look what happend to the Dinosours.

if we piss lady earth off, you can expect payback.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Demosthenes said...

Did you make that little picture yourself? Well done, Carol, well done. Forget armies; I say we conquer the world with peppy drum-toting hearts.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Carol Danvers said...

I did not make it. As I have said many times before, I do not have a creative bone in my body - all photos and art are Google Image Searched :P got this particular one from: http://www.quit-smoking.net/great-american-smokeout.html It's quite scary. It's also quite funny that the Great American Smoke Out is a reference to trying to get people to STOP smoking. Don't the people who name these things have any idea was smoking out refers to? *shakes head*

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Magazine Man said...

Well, we could always organize an, ahem, alternative "Great American Smoke Out" that cleaves more fully to the meaning of the term as we understand it.

You bring the good stuff, I'll bring the absinthe...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home