Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Blogging: a fickle master indeed.

Just enjoyed a nice long weekend. Unfortunately it was packed to the gills full of obligations and responsibilities that I could not shirk in order to blog. But I do find that "the blog" is always at the back of my mind during daily activities. And then I see something cool, or hear an interesting conversation, or have an exciting thought and decide, hey, I should write about that! But I never fail to forget that feeling that it originally had inspired in me, and by the time I get around to writing I decide that it's just not as worth it as I thought - or else I end up forgetting it entirely.

So, I'm interested in knowing how you guys out there in blogland remember what it is that you want to write about? Do you keep notes? Do you have a voice recorder that you lug around with you everywhere so that you can just say a few words about it and listen to it later for inspiration (something I've been wanting to try)? Those of you who take lots of rad pictures (yes, I just said "rad") - do you also lug around your digital camera everywhere you go?

The problem with all of these solutions for me is that I have a great fear of toting lots of baggage (both physically and emotionally). In fact, I found this article to be very much how I want to live my life regarding baggage.

But this leaves me at a conundrum. I am a female of the species, therefore I automatically seem to have more baggage (of both types, funnily enough) than your typical male. Plus, our girly outfits don't always have pockets, and I am fighting a losing battle against carrying a purse. Plus I am hit by inspiration at very random times, and more often than not, find myself without a way of recording said inspiration.

Basically, what do you guys do when inspiration hits? Do you just drop everything and blog right then and there? What are your information-recording secrets??

To lighten things up, here's a funny picture of a cat:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And some information for internet addicts - who live in China. Do we have anything like this here in the States? I would really be interested in signing up for a session or two. "Hello, my name is Ms. Marvel and I've been an internet addict for nearly 10 years..."

CNN was on a role last week in regards to their reporting about the internets - I absolutely adore Craigslist - even more so after reading that article, as I am very much on the same page as Mr. Newmark - "People will realize that people everywhere are OK. You've got to be a little careful, but people are OK." Sure there are some crappy-ass people out there, but I truly believe that the more the internet brings people together, the more those crappy types will lose any influence they once had. At least that's what I believe.

And oh yeah, Happy (late) Independence Day to everyone....

11 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Blogger Radioactive Jam said...

NICE cat. Reminds me of The Brain. Eyes and face, anyway.

Remembering is tricky. I have a recorder, but it's mainly an mp3 player so recording is multi-press and therefore tedious. If it were simpler I would use it.

Notes, sometimes. They help. Otherwise? Pfft, gone.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Magazine Man said...

I'm usually at one desk or another for most of the day (which is mighty pathetic when you think about it, but never mind) so I'm never far from a word processor. But if I am away from my desk--in the car or something--and get struck with an idea, I end up writing it on my hand. Then I just have to remember not to wipe my brow during hot weather...

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger izchan said...

I use a tiny notepad that I have in my pocket.

That and paper napkins.

I am a computer programer. Most of the developement creativity is done on paper napkins in fast food joints.

There is always a handy McDonald or Burger King around.

The key is always have a pen in handy.

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Demosthenes said...

Wow. That cat may have just ruined my night. On another note, don't you wish your town would get invaded during the fireworks? I mean, at the peak of it all, everyone is so whipped into a patriotic frenzy that it would be bloody inspirational! Aaaaaah... America at it's best. Of course, we're all obese and unintelligent and uncultured and the such that it wouldn't be much of a village defense.

 
At 12:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

O Mi God! This has been like a total quest of mine for years! I've tried everything--well, every kind of note book, pad, paper holder--a few non-paper things (a mini recorder--never got around to transcribing), leaving messages on my answering machine, cell phone calender with a large text box.

Nothing has ever worked out for me.

And I hate not having pockets in cute clothes. I have no idea what to do with my keys when I don't have pockets.

I can't tell you how many times I've gotton myself in trouble because I didn't take my purse (almost arrested once--no id).

I haven't blogged yet. But I'm considering it. Maybe. Like I need another distraction. Besides half the time I don't know how to work this damn thing (the computer).

Sorry to go on and on. Up way to late.

--princess

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger ScroobiousScrivener said...

I've been known to take notes in my diary or on random scraps of paper; I've been known to make notes using my cellphone (a very basic one, I just save notes as text messages). Mostly, I either blog it when I think of it (assuming I'm at a PC), or it's gone. Notes are not all that helpful since as you've found, time delay tends to destroy the impetus anyway. I just take a relaxed approach: I'm doing this for fun, I don't have to write every thought that comes to my head. If it's that interesting, it'll come back. Possibly with even more interesting developments as it simmers in my head for a while.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger jedith said...

By "crappy-assed-people" do you mean prejudice people?

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger Carol Danvers said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:19 AM, Blogger Carol Danvers said...

RJ - yes DEFINITELY the Brain - I knew it reminded me of something!

And thanks for your tips everyone!!! Especially MM, you are incredibly inspiring, and I've del.icio.us-ed your two recent writing tips posts - great stuff, thanks!

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Magazine Man said...

Aw shucks, ma'am

(digs virtual toe in the cyber-dirt)

T'weren't nuthin. And if it can inspire somebody else to someday write a book that can become hilariously mistranslated into another language, well, then, my work will be done...

 
At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful Blog.
Thanks for all the information and for putting up a useful site.
canon digital camera

 

Post a Comment

<< Home