Monday, July 25, 2005

Being sick is super annoying.

I haven't been able to surf the internet for the past 10 days or so because I couldn't even focus on the screen. I got a nasty case of bronchitis from someone at work - damn them - which was most likely enhanced by my lack of nutrients, as I always seem to skip meals and forget to take my vitamins. I have been suffering very horrific dizzy spells and coughing fits. Not only could I not focus on the screen, I also wanted to avoid spraying phlegm and mucus all over it.

Lovely mental picture, eh? Sorry about that (well, not really).

Needless to say, not being "plugged in" has left me feeling like I've lost a limb. I've just said to Hell with trying to play catch-up, what's lost is lost - and I have definitely lost the last 10 days of my life. I didn't even watch the news, I just vegged out and listened to the new Harry Potter book on CD. And tried to watch some Angel and Buffy, but couldn't really concentrate. I still just feel like sleeping all the time. Not good.

Therefore I totally missed the news that there were some more attempted bombings in London. I haven't read anything about it even now - I just heard from my mother in an email worrying about my safety if I did decide to travel to London in August. I have, in fact, cancelled my trip - not because of the bombings - I'm not afraid - but because I just don't have the money. I never did find a good deal on plane tickets, so oh well. My friend, who I was going to volunteer for, wasn't too upset when I told her. She has people more than willing to take my place. So I don't feel too bad.

As for the attempted bombings, are the authorities aware if it's the same group of people who made this attempt as the ones who were successful a couple of weeks ago? Like I said I haven't read or heard anything, as I've been stuck in the house for 10 days. It just makes me wonder - something went very wrong in this attempt, which leads me to suspect that maybe it wasn't the same group. I hope they find out soon, and I very sincerely hope that there are no more attempts in the future. My thoughts are still with all the Londoners out there.

That's enough for now, gotta get my energy back...

8 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Kevin said...

I was wondering what happened to you. Sexy phlegm, eh? Definitely not what I'd want to be laid up with. Good to know you're feeling better.

They suspect that the second wave of bombers might be from the same group but some news sources refer to them as the "B Team" since they weren't as successful. It does make me laugh.

Check Wikipedia for more information about the bombings. They've been really good about keeping the information up to date.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Johnny C. said...

Glad your back!

I was sick 5 out of your 10 days. What's up with this sickness going around. It's lamical!

Anyway, Feel better!

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Carol Danvers said...

yeah, it was pretty nasty. I think what made it worse was that I tried to keep going to work for the first few days, and put off going to the doctor. I just thought it was a summer cold :( Now I feel guilty because I think I got some other people sick too... but I feel guilty when I call in sick, even when I'm REALLY sick - what conundrum.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Carol Danvers said...

P.S. Johnny C. - hope you're feeling better too. :)

And kevin, thanks for the tip about WikiPedia. As much as I love that site, sometimes common sense escapes me and I forget to check it at such times as these...

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger ScroobiousScrivener said...

I was pretty sure it couldn't be the same group, because of their spectacular failure, but latest news has it that there do seem to be links. Anyhoo, today they've made some arrests (definite step up from shooting random foreigners), so answers may or may not be forthcoming.

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Magazine Man said...

She's back! I was worried some fan-boy had made off with you at Comic-con.

Sorry you're under the weather. Rest, fluids, DVDs--that's the ticket.

Feel better!

 
At 6:14 AM, Anonymous Kevin said...

What's really strange about the whole Wikipedia phenomenon is that I was able to obtain more reliable and comprehensive information about the bombings on the day they happened from that site than from the major news media outlets. You wouldn't think an encyclopedia site would be that on top of things, but they really are. They amazed me to no end during those two incidents.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Demosthenes said...

Glad to hear you are recovering, though the same can't be said for one such unfortunate man in London. He was, admittedly, wearing a heavy jacket on a summer day and tried to run when the police went to search him, but...

... I bet this guy would trade spots with you if he could. The cops ended up chasing him down, pinning him, and pumping 5, I repeat 5, bullets, into his head at point-blank range. The worst is yet to come: HE WAS INNOCENT.

This whole thing wasn't, in any way, meant to make you feel ungrateful for your sexy phlegm, I was just bringing you up to date. Really. Hope you're back on soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home