Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Just let the Huge Naked Dude sing.

I'm starting out with this video because I love it a lot. I think the moral of the story is just to let your large hairy neighbor sing in the shower without giving him a hard time or else your cat will wind up dead? I'm not exactly sure, but that doesn't stop it from being fun. And it reminds me of Les Triplettes de Belleville, which, if your movie is going to have to remind people of something, is not such a bad flick with which to be associated. LTdB also reminds me of Lance Armstrong. Mega-Biker Dude --> Tour de France --> Lance. Everything in life is a word/image association game.

And now, for a bit of a babble-fest (indulge me, if you will):

I'm sure that you all, like me, have discovered that almost everything in this current day and age that is designed to help us accomplish tasks quicker actually makes us less patient? It's really horrible. For instance, I am quite used to the speed of DSL now. When faced with a slower internet connection than normal (even if the difference is miniscule), I find that I CANNOT wait for the page to load, and so I start opening up other windows, like Word or Excel or my email program or IM windows - all at the same time, no less - trying to get other things accomplished while I wait the extra 10 seconds it takes to open the web page. It gets to the point where I have so many freakin' windows open on my desktop that I can't remember why I was going to that particular web page in the first place - that is, when I eventually remember that all this started after I lost patience with the slow-ass-ness of the connection.

And then I start doing REALLY stupid things, like chatting to my co-worker in one of the open IM windows about how our boss' lack of communication skills is really getting on my nerves - except it's not really my co-worker to which I'm babbling away, it's my boss (true story). Luckily I'm pretty good at BSing my way out of situations like that - "April Fool's!" - but I think I probably lost about 5 years off my life due to the speed at which my heart was pounding in my chest once I realized I had TYPED THAT TO MY BOSS!!!! All because I lost my patience at a slightly-slower-than-normal internet connection.

Anyway, my whole point is that these machines of convenience have taken over our lives and made us into a bunch of jittery, impatient, stressed-out workaholics. I long for the days of the Pony Express when it was perfectly normal to have to wait a long time (quite possibly months) for a deal to go through.

Well, not really, I love all these cool gadgets and would miss them if they were no longer around. I just wish that they didn't have to rule our lives so completely, due to the nature of our jobs or other things over which we have no control. Sometimes I wish that I could be a Buddhist monk and that my job could be listening to the birds sing and watching the snow melt. Or that my house would just burn down with all of my junk in it, forcing me to start anew. Or that I would be assigned a grave and important task, which I had no choice but to accept - that I would be chosen to take the Ring to Mordor.

Sometimes I want my decisions made for me. Sometimes I think living under an evil despot would be simpler.

But then I reclaim my individuality and revel in the uncertainty and mess that is life - until the next time I start typing in the wrong IM box. Doh.

One day, when I am debt-free, I will join the Peace Corps. Until then, I'm stuck with this technology stuff, 'cuz it's the only thing I know how to do well enough to support myself...

9 Comments:

At 5:15 AM, Blogger Radioactive Jam said...

babble-fest:
Yeah. Way yeah.

LTdB: no one else at our place seemed to "get" that movie. I thought it was great. But then, my mind often morphs the scenes before me into extremes, caricatures and non sequiturs. Very little of LTdB seemed strange to me.

This is of course not necessarily a good thing.

I'm not sure about the video, though. The title sounds scary. I don't want my retinas scorched...

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Johnny C. said...

Atleast you made this observation about all of our technological advancements.

Some people never think about it. I think alot of people have already been assimilated into the Borg. They just don't know it yet.

 
At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Kevin said...

Out of curiosity, how in the hell do you "accidentally" type a message like that to your boss? Was he using someone else's chat nic? My God, I think I'd drop over dead from a heart attack if I realized that I had done something like that (not that I haven't wanted to; believe me).

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Carol Danvers said...

RJ - the movie is good, just trust me. There IS a huge naked dude, but he's covered halfway by a shower stall, and it's also a CARTOON. Grow some balls and watch the movie :)

JC - Yes, I a agree about the Borg thing. My purpose in life is to remain as aware as possible and avoid assimilation.

Kevin - I told you, I was too impatient and had to darn many windows open at once - I had about 4 IMs going and I just clicked on the one I THOUGHT was my co-worker but, alas, it was the boss instead. (they have similar icons and colors and I was in too big a hurry to actually READ the NAMES - why would I do such a common-sense thing as that??)

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Radioactive Jam said...

I decided to risk my EYEballs and watched the movie about oh, maybe ten seconds after this morning's comment.

LTdB, most definitely. I didn't check, do they share producers or other creative staff? The connection is uncanny.

You should babble more often :->

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger izchan said...

Are all bloggers geeks?

It seems that every one that blogs knows about the borg. :)

Star Trek rules.

oh ... and resistence is futile.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger website-marketing-blog said...

Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my travelocity web site marketing tool

related site. It isnt anything special but you may still find something of interest.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Admin said...

Great blog, keep up the good work. Glad to see sites like this.

Here is another good site I said I would pass along.
Disney
Thanks

 
At 3:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://corporatestrategicalliances.com/http://corporatestrategicalliances.com/Effective marketing tools, create a wave of traffic hungry for your product/services with this free set of marketing tools in the download area.

Grab your share of internet income with the most explosive discovery now free to download

 

Post a Comment

<< Home