Wednesday, June 22, 2005

I won something! Party at my place!!

So much to do - so little time, so little sleep. I often wonder how someone such as Magazine Man - an editor at a Big Magazine with a wife and two kids - has time to write such awesome blog entries. What is your secret, MM?

So I won a t-shirt from Cate over at my Mom dated Spike by correctly guessing that the number in her head was "42". We must have the same taste in books. Speaking of books, she has tagged me with a book meme, which I had seen floating around somewhere a few days ago, so now I am obligated to complete my first meme. Hopefully by Friday.

Here's a couple of pictures of me in the shirt especially for you Cate:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Voila! I have crossed two stepping-stones today: 1) I got tagged by a meme, and 2) I have posted my very first personal pics. I shall have to make a special mark for today in my calendar.

Now, on to the good stuff!

First, a very funny video from the Jimmy Kimmel show (via Metafilter). Edit: sorry for the broken link, it seems that Jimmy's bandwidth has been exceeded! Maybe try clicking later, 'cuz it's worth it. Second Edit: try this link if the first one still doesn't work. Oh my, did I just use "funny" and "Jimmy Kimmel" in the same sentence? Oh, that was mean. He's not too bad. Considering I never watch late-night TV (too many blogs to read, duh), I am not qualified to make judgements. All I know for sure is that this video made me laugh multiple times. Therefore, it passed my "good enough to blog?" test. Enjoy... multiple times, if you are at all like me.

Holy duct tape prom dresses, Batman! And I though duct tape only came in the lovely dull gray color! You learn something new every day in this world.

Remember how I'm getting a little nervous about "Big Brother" and our government? Well this guy's story is pretty freaky. But I have to wonder - what exactly was depicted in the pictures? I didn't feel like doing enough research to figure it out, and he only says "Bush and guns". But were the guns actually shown killing the President? Because I could certainly see how that would upset the Secret Service a little, no matter what the current situation. Still, I like the guy said, I don't know why they'd have to come to his house, when they could just do a background check on the artist. (BTW, I really hate that the initials for the Secret Service are "SS" - that's freaky.)

Still on the subject of government smack-downs, more info on the Chinese blogging ban. They are now not allowed to use "freedom", "liberty", or "democracy" in their blogs. That really really sucks for them. And it also really really sucks that American corporations are playing along just for money. Wouldn't it make an even bigger statement if, in protest, MSN decided NOT to host Chinese blogs? I'm sure the company would survive. And, as much as I admire the effort and the cause, I have to wonder if projects like this one are going to be beneficial or detrimental in the long run? What if China tries to enlist other governments to crack down on this stuff? What would we say? "No, biggest and scariest country in the world with nuclear warheads, I don't think we will comply - let the bloggers blog, fer chrissakes!" I don't think so.

And in other news, nutballs in the UK have discovered a few pretty random entrances to Hell. This is the kind of stuff I truly enjoy. This is the kind of stuff that brings us all together and makes the world a better place through internet living.

Now, to close, I actually have a question to pose to those of you out in the audience tonight. How does one find the best airfare rates for flights from LA to London for travel dates in late August? I've tried all the usual routes - Orbitz, Travelocity, etc. etc. etc. - and the "cheapest" one I've found is $950 (including all taxes and fees). I find it hard to believe that that is the cheapest flight to London when I remember only a couple of months ago there were advertisments for $300-$350. I'm considering not going if I can't find anything cheaper, and I would feel guilty about that, as I promised my volunteer services to a friend who runs a non-profit organization there. But I would very much rather save my money to fly to New Zealand, or somewhere that I really really want to vacation, rather than blow a grand on flying to London when I'm not even going to be able to tour the city much during my stay there. Help!

Off to finish my work project before the sun comes up - I believe I'm going to be forced to staple my eyelids open, and I haven't had to do that since college.

Should be fun....

8 Comments:

At 3:30 AM, Blogger omar said...

I'm insanely jealous about the t-shirt! Looks good.

I couldn't imagine wearing duct tape. I doubt it's very breathable. And I sure can sweat.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Cate said...

The t-shirt looks great, Carol! I'm glad it arrived intact.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Gloria Glo said...

Carol - You're awesome! These t-shirts are going global! You'll be remembered as the trendsetter you are.

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Kevin said...

Still no headshot, eh? Oh well.

That is one cool looking T-shirt.

As for the Bush/Guns photos, I read a whole thing about that as well. I think it was posted on Blogography a few weeks back. Kinda freaky, yes. I can understand the concern on the part of the Secret Service to want to look into anything that had those two words lumped together. But I think they took it all quite a bit too far. Telling him to remove them? And some of the other stuff I read.

Did you see the images of the postage stamp exhibit?

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Mungo Baobab said...

In regards to your ticket conundrum, have you tried talking with the airlines themselves? Many times you can get a much cheaper ticket by talking to the right person and it definitely wouldn't hurt to mention that you are going to performing volunteer work (who knows, you may find someone with a soft heart who can give you a free flight - not very likely, but you never know until you ask.) If you get "no" for an answer, thank the person for trying their best, then ask to speak with a supervisor (nicely) and work your way up.

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Magazine Man said...

Nice tee! Although I prefer the Ms. Marvel uniform (is that crossing a line?).

No secret to writing blog entries, unless it's that I used to write A LOT for my job, and now I'm in a position where I do wayyyyy too much managing and way too little writing. So this fills the gap nicely. Plus I get to ramble on about my favorite subject, and no one can tell me to stop. :-)

But if there were a secret, you wouldn't need it. You're pretty spiff in the blog entry department yourself...

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Demosthenes said...

I personally believe that China is going to be the next big superpower. Of course, so does our government, but we have decided to suck up and try to get on their good side rather than eliminating the threat. I tell you, the sooner we have a hegemony, the better.

 
At 6:14 PM, Anonymous open365dayz said...

Hi #NAME#. Just found your site via bra. Although I was looking for bra I was glad i came upon your site. Thanks for the read!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home