Monday, May 23, 2005

Yay... it's Conspiracy Theory Day!

I saw Revenge of the Sith for a second time on Saturday. I have heard from others that they liked it even better upon second viewing. But I didn't. I noticed the passage of time much more on this trip to the theater, although that is most likely because the guy sitting next to me kept pulling out his cell phone to check the clock every few minutes, thereby completely removing me from the the experience. Oh well, I will see it a couple more times before it leaves the theaters I'm sure. And for the Star Wars link o' the day, today we have 10 Things the Final Star Wars Should Resolve - but didn't. I mean, not one of those things was resolved. What a let-down. How cool would it have been to get some of those questions answered in this moviethatshouldhavebeenawesome? Bah. No use crying over it now, I guess we'll just have to be happy with the movie as it stands. Like Gandalf says, that is not for us to decide - all we have to decide is what to do with the movies that are given to us.

So all the outright political statements and looks back at human history in Revenge of the Sith have made me start really noticing the political spectrum this week. There seems to be a lot of rampaging Bush-hating going on around the internets these days. I'm sure it's no different than normal, I just noticed it more this week. Now, I am no tree-hugging liberal, but I am also no "Bush is God" conservative, so I take it all with a grain of salt. Disclaimer: I find these links amusing - not as fact, not as fiction, just as a way to pass the time - and I've always been a sucker for a bit of conspiracy theory. So here's the first one - a video about how the Pentagon crash on 9/11 was faked. I guess the video-makers are trying to say that the U.S. government crashed a plane into the Pentagon (or a missile - or set off a bomb - or a combination of all of that), and then made it seem like it was done by the same guys who were behind the WTC crash. But why? Wasn't the WTC attack bad enough? Why would they need to fake another crash to give them even more of an excuse for revenge and war?? I especially like the "mind control machine" reference.

Physics911.org goes into more detail, and even states that some people believe that the WTC collapse was helped along by explosives. So, do they want us to believe that the U.S. government was working in league with the guys flying the planes? Or that the government just use the planes crashing as an excuse for a reason to finally blow up the WTC buildings? Or were the supposed bombs planted by terrorists too, to make certain that the towers did actually collapse? I'm confused by all this paranoia coming from both sides (and I freely admit that I really didn't read through that site completely).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Note to readers: I have no political affiliation with this poster - it's just what came up when I did a GIS for "paranoia"

And finally, here's the 9/11 Facts Summary in case you are still interested in reading more. I wonder how people who lost loved ones in the attacks feel about these types of sites. I wonder if they hate them, or if they are morbidly interested in finding out one day that they are true (or not). Whatever. I just find it fascinating, and I'm very very glad to live in a country that allows its citizens to freely question the government. If this basic right is ever taken away and journalists and bloggers start disappearing in the middle of the night, I'm outta here - New Zealand here I come!

Speaking of governmental bloggers and their ever-increasing public readership, CURSE YOU, BLOGGERS! I found this pretty funny. I guess marketers from all over are having trouble targeting the "non-sellout" nature of bloggers. See, for instance, the "Warner Brothers Blog Blunder" of 2004, still a hot topic among the anti-establishment music bloggers (read this Boing Boing entry from Feb. 2005 for more info). Warning to all marketers: don't mess with opinionated bloggers, they are quick to judge and very detail-oriented - you will not survive their wrath. (Or maybe you'll survive, but you won't be happy about it.)

Oh, I forgot about one last political link that I have questions about - The Downing Street Memo. Is this memo real or is it conspiracy? If it's real, is it just being blown out of proportion? If not, it's kind of scary. I'm not going to become paranoid though - the Force will balance itself out, with or without my worrying about it (Karma and all that).

And here is hopefully the final follow-up to the finger-found-in-chili case: Man With Missing Fingertip Surfaces. He beat up the reporters? That's awesome! And he gave his fingertip to a guy in payment of a $50 debt, who in turn gave it to his wife so she could place it in chili and try to make a million dollars? I swear this story gets more and more ridiculous as the days go by - I half-believe it's just a gigantic joke. Does this type of thing only happen in America - the land of Jerry Springer idiots? Probably.

A couple of fun links: The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation and PostSecret. I really had a lot of fun reading some of those postcards - it's nice to see that there are other people out there with the same insecurities and neuroses as me. Very refreshing and "quantum mechanics"-like (we are all joined together on one level and all that).

Acronym Finder is pretty useful.

Baaaa-bye....

3 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Blogger ben said...

Gotta love a good conspiracy...keeps the nerds in line.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Magazine Man said...

Hey there, Ms. Marvel. Love your blog. Just saw SW III myself and am still digesting, but liked your comments on it. I'll be back!

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Carol Danvers said...

Thanks a bunch Mag Man - I love your writing and have added your blog to my Bloglines (boy is that feed ever getting out of control - too many blogs, not enough time!). Looking forward to reading your Revenge of the Sith thoughts...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home